Saturday 4 May 2013

A Day in the Life of Opalline

So it's day two of the Blog Every Day in May challenge and the topic is 'A Day in the Life'.

I have to say I was a bit dubious about this one as my daily routine isn't exactly exciting, especially on a Friday when I'm always so tired from working all week! But never mind, let's see how it goes.

6.30 - 8.00 Get up, shower, get dressed, put on make up, have coffee. Feel smug that it's fish and chip day at school, so the kid won't want packed lunch today and I only have to make stuff for myself. Realise that, because it's the end of the week, we've actually run out of most things that could be vaguely considered 'lunch'. Consider boiling up some rice or pasta for a quickie salad. Cheat by packing a dried Batchelors Savoury Rice mixture and some carrot sticks instead. Feed the cats and dogs. Chivvy child into getting dressed and out the door. Spend a moment looking at the grotty mess that is my living room and wonder how it could have got that bad in the space of an hour and a half.

8.00 - 14.00 Drive to work, leaving child at his Nan's house to have his breakfast and watch TV until school. Spend several hours at work finishing off the things I've done all week, filing, typing up experiments and data and making sure the analysers are topped up with enough reagents for the weekend. I like Fridays - I work flexi time, so during the week I try and work enough extra hours here and there that I can take a half day off on Fridays and be around for when the kid gets home from school. Of course because this weekend is a 3 day weekend, the time reallllly dragged (why does it always do that before a holiday?)

14.40 - Get home. Get mobbed by hungry dogs and cats who seem to think that just because I got home 3 hours earlier than normal, they should get dinner 3 hours early too. Attempt to convert the living room and kitchen into something that doesn't resemble a bomb-site for the weekend. Child appears, then goes to the park to play with his friends. Sister in law appears, so stop doing housework and make coffee instead. Husband gets home shortly after, so make coffee for him too.

15.30 - Water the veggies (can I call them veggies yet when they're only about 1cm tall?). Have heart failure when a giant spider runs over my foot. Try to work out what to do about the ants that seem to be setting up a next in my courgette tub.

16.00 - 17.00 Realise the house still looks like a dumping ground and do some more tidying. Reboot the dishwasher and the laundry. Asda van arrives with the weekly shop (FOOD!!). Unpack shopping, cook dinner for child and husband, call child home from park to eat it. Realise that kid can't find his phone. Spend fifteen minutes searching the park, then have bright idea to call the phone. Husband answers it because it's at home on the couch where we already looked three times and didn't see it. D'oh.

18.00 - child goes to friend's house for a bit. Realise that I forgot to cook myself any dinner. Despite arrival of new exciting veggies and other food, having spent all this time tidying and cooking for other people and putting new groceries away, now I don't feel like cooking anything 'proper'. Too tired. Eat sandwich instead. Tell self that this is okay because I had a cooked lunch (savoury rice totally counts as cooked, I mean I had to microwave it for 15 minutes and everything, right?).

19.30 - Finish tidying up and spend a few minutes serving up cakes, macaroni cheese, stew and jasmine tea on my phone. Marvel at the irony that I'm too tired to cook myself any actual dinner, but I'll happily spend hours on Bakery Story and Restaurant Story cooking imaginary food instead.

19.45 - Cakes served, spend some time with the kid (who's reappeared from his friend's house) watching Hey Arnold. He's obsessed with this show at the moment (a bit like I'm obsessed with cute cooking game apps, maybe?)

20.30 - 22.30 Kid's bedtime. Make the mistake of giving him a cuddle on his bed before sleep time. Wake up almost two hours later having accidentally fallen asleep - whoopsie, well I did say I'm always tired on Friday!

22.30 Time to relax. Would have had somewhat more of this relaxation time if I'd not fallen asleep, but never mind. I guess sleeping counts as relaxing too. Ignore the fact the downstairs seems to have reverted back to rubbish dump status since I went upstairs (how does that happen??? Are there special mess gremlins that emerge and rumple the place up while your back is turned?). Spend the rest of the evening on the sofa writing blog posts, reading blogs, writing role playing posts, checking Facebook, Twitter etc.

And that's it! Not the most exciting of days but the weekend ought to be better! What did you do today? Any plans for the bank holiday weekend?





1 comment:

  1. Your Friday was a lot more glamourous than mine.
    06:30 Woke up with cat on my chest
    07:30 At work early so I read a few chapters of Beautiful Creatures
    08:00 - 16:30 Work
    17:00 - 21:00 Eat pizza and watch TV
    21:05 snore

    ReplyDelete