Friday 3 August 2012

Body Shop Body Butter : Wild Cherry

Happy Friday! Today's review is for another Body Shop product, their ever-popular Body Butter in Wild Cherry.

 When I was a teenager Body Butters were really popular and I remember slathering myself in Mango body butter like there was no tomorrow. Almost 20 years on and the shop is still full of body butter, still in the familiar large round pots, but now with prettier labels and available in a lot more varieties than there used to be. As well as Wild Cherry, there's Olive, Cocoa Butter, Chocomania, Hemp, Moroccan Rose, Pink Grapefruit, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Sweet Pea, Vanilla, Floral Acai, Macademia, Shea, Coconut, Moringa, Satsuma, Mango, Sweet Lemon, Peach, Brazil Nut, Vitamin E, Almond, Aloe, Mango, Papaya, Blueberry and Strawberry! At £12.50 they're a little pricier than I'd normally pay for a body moisturiser but you get 200ml of product for your cash and a little bit goes a very long way, so I guess it's not too bad.
As soon as I opened the pot I noticed two things: one, it smells absolutely gorgeous. I was actually expecting an artifical, 'cherry coke' kind of black cherry scent, and that isn't the case. It smells strongly of real cherries. The scent is strong enough that you can definitely smell it on your skin long after it's applied, but not strong enough to be annoying or give you a headache. This is a plus for me. I like skin products to smell nice, but not knock out passers-by.
The other thing that I noticed was that it's a lot runnier than I'd been expecting. The Body Butters I used as a teenager were so thick as to be almost solid, and a quick squizz at some of the other varieties revealed they mostly have that same thick texture too. However, the jar does say 'for normal skin' whereas a lot of the other ones are intended for drier skin, so I figured normal=runnier.
The butter, or shall we say cream (it just doesn't seem like a butter to me when it's this fluid) has a pale pink colour, applies easily and sinks in fast. I was a little worried it wouldn't be that moisturising but my horribly dry skin on my legs slurped it up and felt wonderfully smooth afterwards. The butter leaves a slight residue on the skin which makes it feel extra moisturised, but it's not enough to feel greasy or leave marks on your clothes. It lasted a long time, too: despite my dry skin I am terrible at remembering to moisturise, yet two days later my legs still felt pleasantly nice and smooth.

What I liked:
Smells gorgeous
Lasts a long time
Absorbs quickly, yet is still very moisturising, even on very dry skin.

What I didn't like:
The price (although not appallingly expensive it's still more than I'd like to spend on a single body product)
The thickness. It wasn't buttery enough for me to think of it as an actual body butter. More like a moisturising cream in a jar.

Some people might think the scent is just a little bit too strong. I like strongly scented creams but if you prefer   less fragrant offerings, try one of the other butters as this is one of the more aromatic varieties the Body Shop sell. Some of them are strong, others a lot more subtle.

Would I use it again? Most certainly. I loved this so much that it even made me remember to moisturise my legs more often than the measly once a week or so that I normally achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment